Friday, January 28, 2011

A Southern Girl's Lessons from a Snow Storm

Let's start this off with two basic facts that are important to this story:
1. I'm from Texas where winter temperatures rarely go below 50 degrees.
2. 2009-2010 is the first winter I've lived off campus.

Last week, Columbia received a winter storm that dumped 9 inches of snow overnight. My producing professor said it's the third largest snow he's seen in the 10 years he's lived here. It started Wednesday night when I was producing a newscast. I have never driven in snow so I was taking anyone and everyone's advice; I made it home okay.

This is what the car looked like after my preliminary brush-away from the bottom of the car.

The next morning was quite an adventure: it was the first time in my life I've had to dig my car out of the snow. The plow had pushed a pile of snow as tall as my bumper against the back of my Honda Accord Coupe. My roommates and I weren't prepared for this snow storm so we didn't have a snow shovel! I improvised with a broom. I needed almost two hours digging and a nice neighbor's push to get the car out. But I made it where I was going and managed to not drive the rest of the weekend!

The red stripe is the car roof. This is the most snow I've ever cleared off my car!

One side effect of not driving over the weekend that I didn't expect was ice in my wheel-wells! I noticed the tires were making a strange noise when I turned so I got out and found the ice. I got my ice scraper out and went to town! After many minutes of chipping, my wheels could move without being blocked by the ice.

From these new snow experiences, I've learned many lessons:
1. When you drive a front wheel drive car, it's a good idea to back into a parking spot. Then you can pull yourself out over the ice, instead of trying to pushing your back wheels over the ice.

2. Buy a snow shovel at Walmart when there's no threat of a big snow storm. If you go after the storm, they'll be out of stock!

3. Have two pairs of snow boots: one to wear while digging out your car and a dry pair for when you finally get out and on your way.

4. The boys next door will shovel all the snow off your front walkway and steps for two beers each.

5. Finally, don't roll down your windows thinking it's a good way to get the snow off them - all the snow will end up in your lap!

No comments:

Post a Comment