Saturday, March 12, 2011

Computer Assisted Reporting

Excel: Pivot Tables.
Access: SQL.
You name it, I got it.

"It" being the tools to do investigative journalism.  I finished my Computer Assisted Reporting (CAR) course today and my journalism toolbox is expanded.


In this course, I learned how to analyze data in Excel.  This includes cleaning the data, using Pivot Tables, and sorting it.  Then I took those skills and applied them to using Microsoft Access as a database management system.  


 In Access, I learned how to write SQL, compare databases to find matching data, and clean data using queries (trust me, it's very different than cleaning data in Excel).  Part of my coursework involved placing an open records request, which was a new and interesting experience.  I did not end up getting the data from the City of Columbia because they wanted $365 for it.  I now know how to place a request so next time it won't be so intimidating (the City doesn't bite... they just charge).

I really enjoyed learning these skills and will be on the lookout for a story where I'll be able to do some CAR!

No comments:

Post a Comment